I know what you’re thinking. Miso in my porridge – what!? Now I know this sounds crazy, but it is actually incredibly tasty. Adding salt to a sweet always makes it taste even better – think salted caramels, salted chocolate, or even just adding a pinch of salt to your porridge oats. It actually doesn’t even taste salty, it just adds a strange sense of umami thats keeps you coming back for more. Just try it.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
1 cup short grain brown rice
200ml coconut cream
1 tablespoon shiro (rice) miso paste
Coconut palm sugar (to taste)
200ml warm water
Toppings: Lady Finger banana, lime, coconut sugar, black tahini or sesame seeds
- Soak the brown rice overnight. Rinse well.
- Cook the rice as you would normally and transfer to a pan.
- Stir the miso paste into 200ml of warm water, and then add to the rice. Start cooking the rice again in this water on a low heat (without a lid) until you start getting a porridge like consistency.
- Then add the coconut cream and as much coconut sugar as you like.
- Add the toppings or enjoy it as it is.